Are you planning to install composite decking in your house? One thing homeowners consider before building their deck is how much it will cost. Decking price varies on the material used; some deck boards are cheap, while others are expensive. If you plan to use composite decking, you will like to know how the price compares to wood. What is composite decking? How much does it cost to build a composite deck? What is a composite decking cost calculator? How much is Trex composite decking? This article answers those questions.
Cost of Trex Composite Decking
Several decking materials can be used to build your deck, but few offer quality, like Trex. Trex boards are a little cheaper than other brands, making it cost-effective to build a decking.
The estimated material cost for composite decking boards ranges between $15 and $30 per square foot. The prices we mention include the substructure, decking and fasteners.
So, if you want to build a 100 square foot decking with Trex composite decking boards, you will spend between $1500 and $3000. You will notice that the cost of the Trex deck varies; that is why we will explain in detail what can affect the price of your composite decking.
Three Things that Affect Composite Decking Price
The three factors behind a deck price are labor, materials and size. Now let’s take them one after the other.
- Labor. After purchasing composite decking boards, you have to install them. How you install your deck matters if you want it to last long. You can hire an expert deck installer or do it yourself if you have the skills. The installer will charge per square foot to install your decking, so you must factor in that cost when planning your deck.
- Materials. Of course, you have to buy composite boards to build your deck. The estimated material cost for a composite deck runs from $15-$30 per square foot if you add the joists and fasteners. Other materials that can up the cost are railing, add-ons, pergola, etc.
- Size. The size of your deck matters because it affects the price. A small deck on the plain ground will not cost much as a large elevated deck.
If you are on a budget, these are some tips you should consider when building your decking.
- You can install your composite decking yourself or hire an expert installer in the off-season to reduce installation fees.
- Go for straight sections of decking instead of complicated curved designs.
- Use innovative design tricks like a color mix and match to up the design of your deck without upping the cost.
- Use decking boards that are easy to work with.
Other stylistic additions that can make your decking attractive are:
- Adding fascia boards to conceal the rough edges of your decking. They are important if you want your deck to be truly attractive.
- Trex RainEscape makes it easy to drain your deck after it rains, keeping the space below your deck dry and liveable.
- Outdoor decking lighting helps you walk on your deck safely at night.
- Adding a pergola can be good if you want to enjoy your composite decking on a hot summer afternoon.
Composite Decking Accessories
To install your decking, you need deck accessories like clips and fasteners. While most decking suppliers will sell their boards along with clips, others don’t.
So, don’t forget to buy decking clips and fasteners because you need them. There are two types of composite decking clips and fasteners. The T clips and the L clips.
You use L clips as starter clips when installing the deck at the edge and T clips as the intermediate when installing other boards.
One thing to note is that you can use clips and fasteners online to install grooved composite decking. If you have ungrooved decking boards, you need screws.
Composite Decking Cost Calculator
The composite deck calculator makes it easy to calculate how much you will spend to build your deck. Let’s do a quick cost estimate of Trex composite boards.
Suppose you want to install a 20′ x 20′ deck with Trex boards; the material cost will be $2,932, this is minus the installation cost.
Frequently Asked Questions
The price of a 20′ x 20′ deck varies on the brand you select, the design and the installation cost. To buy the material, you will spend around $2,932. But when you factor in installation, the price will go up.
The price of composite decking boards varies between $15 and $30. So, if you want to install a 100 square foot deck, you will spend between $1500 and $3000.